We’re sure you’ve seen same-day dental implants advertised online. Same-day implants have transformed the dental market, as you can leave the practice with a whole set of brand-new teeth in one visit. Until recently, the only option for replacing missing teeth was traditional implant methods requiring multiple appointments. But, same-day, also known as ‘All-On-Four‘ implants, can replace entire arches of teeth in one procedure.
Dental implants are a surgical procedure that requires healing time for osseointegration. Derived from Latin, osseus means “bony” and integrare is “to make whole”. Therefore, we use this term to describe the process when the jawbone cells grow around the implant to secure it in place.
A dental surgeon will typically insert the titanium fixture into the bone and leave it to heal for a few months. On your second visit, they will attach an abutment (connector) for the crown. After your bone and gum have healed, a custom-made crown is secured. The process takes 5-10 months, or even longer if you need a tooth extracted first. However, same-day implants allow us to secure temporary teeth to the fixtures with a technique called ‘immediate loading’. As a result, you’ll have a full set of functioning teeth while going through the lengthy wound-healing process, instead of having to wait for them in the final stages of the procedure.
How Does It Work?
Theoretically, no dental surgeon can complete a full implant treatment in a single day. Planning implant surgery takes time, and you’ll want a thorough consultation before starting treatment. Practices that market ‘fast’ dental procedures might cut corners, which could lead to significant problems. Therefore, you’ll have to come in for a consultation so that we can check the integrity of your bone structure and ensure your gums can hold both the implant and crowns. If not, the implant treatment might fail. You’ll also have to return once your gums have completely healed to replace the provisional crowns and bridges with permanent, custom-made ones. However, you will leave our clinic with a complete set of new teeth after a single procedure.
Same-day implants are the most convenient way to get your ideal smile. We’ll insert the implants in a single visit rather than splitting them into shorter procedures. During treatment, our surgeon will extract any necessary teeth. They will then insert four dental implants into each arch under local anaesthetic. At this time, they will ‘immediately load’ your mouth with restorative crowns via bridges. Around three months later, you will return for your replacement crowns.
Are All-On-Four Implants Right For You?
All-On-Four implants are perfect for patients struggling with dentures. It’s also great for patients with wide gaps between teeth, failing natural teeth or those who want to improve their smile quickly before an event.
Benefits of All-On-Four Implants:
- Restoration of your smile and confidence in one visit.
- All-On-Four implants are the next best thing to natural teeth.
- Immediate loading stops bacteria from entering the wound site during the healing process.
- No more annoying loose dentures or missing teeth.
- Less expensive than multiple implants.
- It improves sunken face structure and reduces signs of ageing after losing teeth.
- Almost painless before and after the procedure.
- Reduces bone resorption; 25% of bone loss can occur in the first year of losing teeth.
- Bone grafting is usually unnecessary.
Disadvantages Of Same-Day Implants:
- There are rare occasions when we can’t complete implant treatment in a single day due to bone loss. Excessive bone loss means the jaw can’t support the implants straight away.
- While same-day implants are a popular procedure and, most of the time, are just as effective as traditional implants, there is a higher chance of treatment failure. Same-day implants are a sensitive procedure, and comprehensive skill is needed to ensure success. At The Bristol Dental Practice, we’ve placed over 5,000 implants, so we’re highly experienced in same-day implants and can minimise the chances of failure.
- The same-day approach requires more time in the dental chair than traditional implants. Dental sedation is advisable for those who struggle to undergo lengthy dental procedures.
- Patient compliance is vital during the healing stage. At this time, patients must stick to a softer diet to avoid hindering the bone-to-implant integration phase.
When Same-Day Implants Might Not Work For You:
- You suffer from periodontal disease (gum disease). This can only work if we’re replacing all of your teeth.
- You have poor oral hygiene.
- You are a heavy smoker.
- You suffer from chronic illnesses, such as diabetes and cancer.
- You have bruxism (teeth grinding).
- You have thin or soft jawbones.
Meet The Team:
We have a diligent team of dentists passionate about rebuilding smiles. Our principal dentist, Dr Jonanthan Cochrane, is a member of two Royal Colleges of Surgeons, Edinburgh and England, with a special interest in dental implants and sedation. Dr Devin Vaghela is also a member of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, with an interest in dental aesthetics and implants. Both Jonathan and Devin have successfully performed dental implant surgery for thousands of patients. Dental implants are a permanent fixture in your mouth, so it’s vital to go to a reputable dentist in the UK.
Interested In Dental Implants Near You? Contact The Bristol Dental Practice For Dental Implant In Bristol.
Contact us at 0117 405 4374 to arrange an appointment to discuss dental implants at a time and day that suits you. Our private dental practice is open seven days a week (by appointment only on Sundays).
A consultation with our Treatment Coordinator, Rebecca Hawkings, is an excellent opportunity to ask any questions about implants and any alternative treatments available to you. We also offer 0% finance to all our patients.
Contact us to book your dental implant consultation today. We look forward to seeing you.