It’s common to have teeth with white spots or a mottled appearance. This can occur for a variety of reasons and, until fairly recently, could not be treated using a minimally-invasive approach — the only options available were treatments that covered over the natural tooth, such as veneers or composite bonding. ICON is a treatment that has made it possible to remove the appearance of white spotting and marks from teeth, making them a uniform colour without any removal of tooth material or covering over of the tooth’s natural surface.
Benefits of ICON spot whitening at
The Bristol Dental Practice
What can cause white spots on teeth?
- Dental fluorosis: a condition caused by excess fluoride intake during the development of adult teeth
- Enamel hypoplasia: another condition that occurs during the development of adult teeth, in which tooth enamel does not form properly
- Decalcification: the loss of minerals from tooth enamel. This can occur during treatment with fixed braces during which brackets are bonded to the surface of the teeth. This usually happens due to inadequate dental hygiene on the part of the patient
- Poor oral hygiene: failure to follow a regular, thorough oral care routine
- Diet: for example, consuming a high proportion of sugary food and drinks
- Some health conditions and medications: such as coeliac disease and tetracycline respectively
How does Icon spot whitening work?
It’s a common misconception that conventional whitening treatment will even the shade of white spotted teeth or mask the white spots with a brighter shade. This is not the case. Where ICON differs is that it targets only the white spots themselves.
White spots are caused by acids drawing minerals away from tooth enamel and leaving a more porous structure in which air becomes trapped. The trapped air is the source of the white colouration. ICON works to infiltrate and fill in these areas of trapped air and restore the appearance of your enamel.
Why Choose The Bristol
Open 7 Days
We are Bristol’s
only 7 day dental
We are available
when it suits you
Interest free finance
Highly trained multidisciplinary
team of dentists
Established for over
What to expect from treatment
ICON uses a series of processes:
- ICON-Etch gel is applied to the surface of the white spot to remove the surface layer and prepare the tooth
- The treated area is dried with ICON-Dry
- ICON-Infiltrant is applied. This penetrates deep into the enamel, filling out the air-filled pockets
- The treated area is light-cured and the natural shade restored
The procedure is simple, painless and effective in restoring the shade of your enamel. ICON will not give an overall whitening effect to your teeth, it is intended only to restore evenness of shade. For an overall whitening effect, see Zoom and Enlighten.