Impeccable experience in lingual technology
Our consultant specialist orthodontist Mr Scott Deacon has treated patients in Germany under the guidance of Dr Dirk Wiechmann, who developed and tested the Incognito lingual braces system, publishing his results in 2003 in the American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. Incognito uses computer-aided design and computer-aided manufacturing (CAD/CAM) technology to combine block fabrication and positioning, whereby the wires and blocks are customised to the patient’s tooth surfaces. Dr Vasilis Charalampakis, a third generation specialist orthodontist, has a special interest in invisible braces including lingual braces.
Are lingual braces suitable for everybody?
There are limitations, for instance lingual braces are not suitable for patients who have a large number of teeth with crowns and fillings because the blocks will be difficult to glue onto the back surfaces of the teeth.
What happens during a consultation for lingual braces?
If the patient has expressed interest in lingual braces our specialist orthodontist will check whether they are a viable option in a lengthy assessment. It will be explained that this is not as comfortable as other orthodontic systems owing to the fact that the braces are in contact with the tongue, so it can take longer to get used to the appliance.
How long does treatment take?
Between 12 and 36 months, a longer timeframe than other systems because there is less leverage to apply force from the inside surfaces of the teeth as the gaps between the blocks are smaller and there is less room to play with.
How should lingual braces be looked after?
They are harder to see, which means good oral hygiene takes more effort. We advise patients on which special tooth brushes can help, and monitor their progress.
Benefits of lingual braces at The Bristol Dental Practice
- they are invisible
- they are custom made for each patient
- they can be used for complex multi-disciplinary cases
- they can deliver life changing results
- they are delivered by Mr Scott Deacon, a consultant specialist orthodontist who has practised in Germany with Dr Dirk Wiechmann, who developed Incognito lingual braces system, or Dr Vasilis Charalampakis, a third generation specialist orthodontist with a special interest in lingual braces
Mr Scott Deacon – Consultant Orthodontist (GDC No: 73099)
BDS, MFDS RCS, MSc, MOrth, FDS(Orth) RCS
- Lead Consultant Orthodontist
- Special interests in Invisalign and Lingual Braces
Dr Vasilis Charalampakis – Specialist Orthodontist (GDC No: 263777)
- 3rd Generation Orthodontist
- Special interests in Invisalign and Clear Aligners